Thursday, January 19, 2012

Mommy I think I like girls

So I travel a wee bit for work, and like all good mommies I spend 7.5 hours out of 8 thinking about, texting, speaking to or fending off my kiddies while I am away. Every time I step foot outside of Nova Scotia however, something 'life altering' happens to MacKenzie. For example

April trip to NL - First period ever
May trip to NB - Broke up with BF via text (they are since reconciled and according to FB - married)
July trip to NB - Started Period again, worst experience ever as she thought that once you did this one time, you were done for life
etc etc etc..you get the picture.
January trip to NB - Decided she likes both boys AND girls.

Now... I don't care if she likes boys and/or girls. Personally I have always said people should just like people and who cares what sex they are. As long as they are of age and are not married - give'r. BUT, why oh why does she come to this conclusion when I am away? I spoke with her at length and assured her that that was normal and she is OK and life goes on. She advised that there is a girl....that she likes....I asked her if this girl also likes girls to which she responded that she did not know. I suggested that she wait for a bit before making her announcement about liking both boys and girls, and one in particular. Her answer to this...I already told her.. and a teacher..and a friend. Oh dear.... now, I know I am older than sand and senile in her opinion but I remember grade 8...and I remember the cruelty of girls, boys and other. Sure enough, when she got home last week from school she was devastated. Her new life choice has been spread through the school like wildfire, and her crush headed for the hills...turns out she only likes boys. (quell surprise). MacKenzie's boyfriend Ty was completely shocked but supportive and has decided that it is OK for her to like girls too, as long as she is still his girlfriend and not seeing anyone else. As they have been together for almost a year now, and she has yet to let him kiss her (sometimes OCD and borderline autism is a good thing), I don't think he has any worries about her running amok.
Yesterday I went to school with her and brought her to her counsellors office. Turns out I am not nearly cool enough to understand her (her new fave saying), but her hip blonde guidance counsellor can say my words and they are magic. She now feels better. The kids have school have gotten over it, and she is still friends with the girl she kinda likes (yes now it is kinda, instead of for sure).
15 is a grand age, one of discovery, exploration and a slow cautious walk into self awareness. And my 15 year old is taking a much different path than most due to her disabilities, but my goodness, how wonderful that she tells me this stuff, can speak freely to her counsellor about it and is not afraid to tell her friends.....the confidence she shows in this situation is something I wish I had now. Wouldn't it be great if each of us were open and honest about who we are, what we want and where we stand....and were ready to hear it from others?
Have board meetings in Halifax tomorrow. What a great way to spend my Friday afternoon.....(EYEROLL)

A

No comments:

Post a Comment